That’s right folks. The nearly 44 year old Vinny Testaverde is back in the NFL, this time signing with the Carolina Panthers. With original starter Jake Delhomme out for the season to get elbow surgery, and current starter David Carr with back problems, Testaverde could be under center this weekend when the Panthers go to Arizona to play the Cardinals.
Some interesting facts regarding Vinny Testaverde:
- He’s already been nicknamed "Dad" by the team
- He’s almost four years older than his offensive coordinator
- He’s thrown more passes than have been thrown in Panthers history
- If he starts Sunday against the Cardinals, the combined age of the two starting quarterbacks will be about 80 (Kurt Warner is 36)…not sure, but it could be a record.
- As of this morning, he wasn’t even listed as a player in the Yahoo! Fantasy system (not that I was going to pick him up, I was just looking for him…honestly!)
- He won the Heisman Trophy the same year his new teammate Dwayne Jarrett was born (1986)
- He was the No. 1 overall pick eight years before the Carolina Panthers became a franchise
I probably don’t need to say it, but he shouldn’t be anywhere near a fantasy roster at this point in his life, unless he’s managing his own team.