Keeper league resources
Getting a fantasy football keeper league started is no trivial matter. For the most part, you’re going to have to live with the decisions you make before the first season for as long as the league lasts – which, if you do things right, could be an epically long time. The last thing you want is to be hearing the same old gripes from your league’s peanut gallery twenty years from now. Here’s a collection of resources from around the Web to help you get started the right way.
- KFFL: What is a keeper league and why play? – Very detailed overview, covers the difference between keeper and dynasty leagues.
- Here’s a nice collection of keeper league rules used by various leagues.
- Our suggested ruleset for a standard keeper league. This is the setup that Brandon and I use in the league I commish. It’s a conservative, fair setup which rewards smart keeper decisions while still preventing any one team from achieving permanent crushing dominance. We allow each owner to keep up to three players from the previous season, as long as they were drafted after round 3.
- Great Lakes Fantasy Football’s Guru Dynasty League – At the opposite end of the spectrum from the conservative keeper setup we prefer are dynasty leagues like this one, where you can keep your entire roster if you so choose.
- Another dynasty option is going with an auction-based format like this one.
- Looking for a fantasy football website that has built-in support for keeper leagues and will carry your data over from year to year? This is a good option if you’re willing to give up some flexibility in exchange for low maintenance. Sites that offer keeper support: CBS Sportsline, FleaFlicker, FanBall, FanStar, FantasyBowl, Homegrown Sports. I’ve tried the first two; the rest look OK to me. There are a lot more out there, but some of them look a little sketchy so I didn’t include them.
- The Fantasy Football Times has a detailed article on starting a keeper league.
- And then there’s Football Jabber’s obscenely detailed, twenty-step process for creating a dynasty league. And here I thought we were the geeks.